Besides serving up high calibre tennis to a massive global audience, Wimbledon is also the largest sporting catering operation in Europe. With a menu that reaches way beyond tea and cakes, how can you benefit from the event and influence your food for the impassioned spectators at your venue?
With roughly 112,000 punnets of strawberries sold during the fortnight, we clearly have a soft spot for these fantastic summer fruits.
Almost as synonymous with Wimbledon as a 'proper' pint of Guiness in Ireland, fans on Murray mound aren't settled without their portion of Kent's finest and a fresh glass of pimms on the side.
Some other quantities from 2015 supplied by the Championship's caterers FMC include:
- 330,000 cups of tea and coffee
- 230,000 bottles of water
- 320,000 glasses of Pimms
- 110,000 pints of beer and lager
- 29,000 bottles of champagne
What could possibly be more British than tea and coffee? Whether it's 'refreshments', 'tiffin' or 'brew up' our affection for a cuppa is characterised perfectly at Wimbledon at the break of play. Surely no one would fancy walking on to centre court without one?
Introduced to England by Anna the Seventh Duchess of Bedford in 1840, afternoon tea traditionally comprised a sumptuous selection of teas, sliced bread, cakes, biscuits and of course, strawberries. Today, the choice respects the traditions of old and incorporates the new: with devonshire scones, Victoria sponge and lemon macaroons among a host of other temptations. Lift your final presentation effortlessly with our extended range of cake boards and boxes and give your food an attractive platform to encourage those extra sales.
Preparing for Wimbledon or the next local sporting event for your catering business? Our disposable cups and glasses is a good place to start your search, with a newly increased range of stylish and dependable hot cups and cold glasses which are ideal for events such as this.
Come In And Take A Pew
Let your guests take a moment to sit down and soak up the flavours on the menu. Our outdoor furniture range offers style, comfort and reliability, from green patterned bistro tables to hardwood folding tables and stacking armchairs to match.
Create a warm summer atmosphere and encourage your guests to stay for longer with our extensive range of hard wearing furniture.
Wheel In The Big Screen
Thanks to the tumultuous British weather, your flat screen is likely to suffer without security from an industrial grade gazebo to shield your guests and equipment from the rain. By investing in a Gazebo, you can also continue to supply food and drink under cover, whilst providing an inviting sanctuary from the drizzle when in inevitably arrives.
Strawberry and Rhubarb
As the rhubarb and strawberry seasons overlap throughout June, it's the perfect time to create the perfect jam or a scintillating summer crumble. The beauty of this quintessentially English pudding is its simplicity and sharp, distinctive flavour from the rhubarb.
Our quick recipe tip..
Our quick recipe tip..
- 2-4 stalks of rhubarb (the Yorkshire grown 'champagne' variety is often preferred for its sweet flavour)
- 250g of strawberries with hulls removed. Cut the larger ones in half if required.
- 165g of plain flour
- 50g of soft light brown or muscovado sugar
- 150g of rolled oats
- 125g unsalted butter
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius / Gas Mark 4
- Tip your rhubarb into a saucepan and simmer on a low heat for around 15 minutes, adding just a sprinkle of your sugar
- When soft and sweet, pour the rhubarb into a pie dish
- Toss your strawberries with a tablespoon of flour, before adding to the rhubarb. Then sprinkle half of the remaining sugar on top
- Put your oats, butter, remaining sugar and flour into a food processor and pulse until the mixture comes together.
- Spread your crumble over the fruit and bake for 35-40 minutes until the rhubarb is tender and the top turns a light golden brown colour
- Serve with a choice of custard or clotted cream
With illustrious frontman Federer looking keen to overcome his injury plagued season and the impressive youngster Dominic Thiem breaking into the top 10 rankings, this year's tournament seems perfectly poised for some thrilling encounters already. Hopefully you'll enjoy the tennis whilst soaking up some of the summer sun during these long evenings.
For all caterers, don't forget to check our freshly updated range of consumables, including rippled hot cups, smoothie cups, and biodegradable food packaging.
Browse our fresh new lines and latest offers at Nisbets.
By Jeff Gibson